Digital Comics in the Classroom
Whether it be introducing difficult topics, hooking reluctant readers or simply engaging students, comics and graphic novels are finding their way into classrooms. Digital Comics in the Classroom is full of educational resources and comic creators, so that students can make their own!
Free Online Comic Creators
- Chogger - A nice site for creating a comic, with the ability to take a picture, to upload a picture, or to create a drawing from scratch.
- Comic Creator - Students can compose their own comic strips using various characters, speech bubbles, props, and backgrounds. After creating their comics, students can print them to share with friends and family.
- Comic Master - A very nice-looking site that is user friendly with lots of features to choose from such as: backgrounds, objects, speech bubbles, etc. This site does require the user to enter an email address and password.
- Kerpoof - Create a fully animated comic.
- Make Beliefs Comix - Students can create their own comic strips on this site that offers animal and human characters with different moods, thought and speech balloons to fill in with words in English or Spanish, and story prompts. After creating their comic strips, students can print them or email them to friends or family.
- Super Hero Squad Show - Create comics to save, download and print of their favorite Marvel super hero.
Subscription Comic Creators
- ComicLife - Create professional looking comics! Available for your PC, Mac, and iPad.
- Pixton - Has an educational portal (paid) that is ideal for schools (no student email account necessary). Also, there are a ton of options such as voice recording, drag-n-drop interface, and importing/exporting features.
- ToonDoo Spaces - One of the most popular online comic creators that is very similar to Pixton, with the ability to create a private space for education for sharing/collaborating on comics.